Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Changes in the weather


Here in Tacoma today, the sun is shining and there isn't a cloud in the sky. It's cold outside but it's calm, hardly a breath of wind. I haven't been on the water today but I would expect it to be flat and fast.

Yesterday was very different. Winds gusting to 50 knots, rain, just ugly weather. I would not have wanted to be out on the water yesterday. But that's the difference a day makes.

It's going to be like that on this upcoming VI trip. Each day will bring different weather and conditions and my challenge will be to adapt what I do to the changing environment I am in. I am expecting inclement weather and I know that most of the paddling days will be tough ones, but there will still be those other days. Days when the water reflects the mountains and the trees along the verdant shoreline. When the wind seems to have been defeated, if only for a while. When everything comes together to make it a perfect day in a wild adventure.

It's those perfect days that make it all worthwhile.