Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Tu-ber-cu-lucas and the sinus blues


Sick. Like the flu. Actually, not "like" the flu... I think it is the flu. No paddling today, and it's hard to imagine that I'm going to want to get out there tomorrow either. It makes me think about what I will do if I get hit with this type of thing when I'm on the trip. I have a good first aid kit, but it is organized around an accident scenario, not stocked up with cold and flu supplies. For example, if I should lacerate my hand on a rock, impale a foot on a barnacle, break an arm in a fall... well, I've prepared for those types of emergencies and I have something in the boat somewhere to deal with them. A simple cold, on the other hand, is anything but simple in adverse conditions.

I left work early today, came home and crashed on the couch. Watched a couple episodes of Northern Exposure on DVD (a particularly fine Christmas present - thank you Mary), and now I'm thinking about crawling into bed. I'm not going to have these options when I'm out there.

I'm going to take another look at the first aid kit, maybe do a little repacking. But not right now.