Sunday, January 6, 2008

Of all the years...



For the sake of those who may not be football fans, I will make this brief. I am torn right now. Torn between all the planning I've put into this trip, the excitement I have for the experience I have ahead of me, between these things and the excitement I have for the playoffs and the stellar season being put together by the Green Bay Packers.

I am a Packer fan. I think most people who know me would agree. I am easily as much of a Packer fan as I am a kayaker, maybe more. I thought they'd be ok this year, but I never would have predicted this: 13-3 record, 2nd seed in the NFC with a first round bye. Playing next weekend against the Seahawks at Lambeau for the opportunity to go back to Dallas (probably), where they are way, way overdue for a win. Two years ago they were 4-12. Last year they went 8-8. I thought maybe they'd go 10-6, and that's because I'm an optimist. Now it is starting to look like they could possibly go to the Super Bowl, and I pick this year to go kayaking around a big island.

Apparently I have poor timing.

I am ready for the coming week, my last week of preparation. I'll be paddling in the mornings for the next few days, then pulling the boat into the shop for some last-minute repairs and a static load to see how it will pack up. I am expecting to paddle next Saturday with a group of friends and then I'll be gone two days later. The time is getting compressed now.

I'd like to make it to Comox by the day of the NFC championship game. GO PACK GO!!